Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thing 6 - Blog Readers

It seems very odd to be blogging without an image today. Guess all that hard work on Things 3-5 is paying off.

I must confess that I wasn't very excited about setting up a Blog Reader, despite the fact that several of my extended family members have already taken the plunge. And choosing to follow my husband's brother may have been a mistake since it turns out that ALL of his shared items are about math.

Still, it turns out that I love at least one aspect of checking blogs this way. It is much easier to ignore the comments that people post. (See Thing 2 for my cold-hearted assessment of what gets posted in response to blogs.) Without the comments, I can read through the blogs much more quickly and save time. So, I guess I'm a convert on that front.

How could libraries use Blog Readers effectively? Well, it seems like a convenient way to keep up with the various media outlets in a community. (Assuming that your community is large and online enough to be Internet savvy--which mine is.)

For example, one of the Blogs I subscribed to is for the DMN blog on my City of employ. It posts a daily news roundup, so I can quickly get a sense of what's happening around town. Since many people seem to call the library with questions about events in and around the city (whether library-related or not) I feel like more of a professional if I at least know what they're talking about. And it's nice to have an outside-the-city-government-itself view of what's happening around town. (Around here, city employees receive most city press releases via email.)

On the lighter side, I'm looking forward to keeping up with "Unshelved" again. I'd let that slide for awhile. But we all need a quick laugh to get going in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment