Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Google Maps (FPL 23 Things)

I've been wanting to visit a Dewey-less library for some time. So, it makes sense to visit the library where the concept got started:

Maricopa County, AZ

Since the Maricopa County libraries didn't have Google street views to share in my maps, I tried some other searches, too. For the house I grew up in and the house in which my parents now live. I got street views of both of those - though Google had a hard time dropping me at the exact addresses, so I had to travel myself down the street.

I think it's kind of amusing that the dinky little town in upstate SC where I grew up is well photographed, but the street I live on here in "progressive" Frisco hasn't been (apparently. I can't get my little orange person icon to land on my street. Only one north or south.)

This is a really good reminder that social media tools are always works in progress. If we try to wait until we have everything completed (or even half done) we'd never get anywhere because the tool would be obsolete before it premiered. That's probably a good lesson for us to remember with some of the things we do, too!

And it wouldn't hurt for us to get into Google and provide some information about the library at our address. No reason for City Hall to have all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment