Tuesday, March 23, 2010

User Choice - Blip.tv (FPL 23 Things)

David and Michael (of Library 101) list "know the difference between YouTube and Blip.tv" as one of the many things I still need to learn.

Fortunately, they link directly to a short article that pretty well sums up the difference, at least the difference according to the founder of Blip.tv. My even-shorter version: Blip.tv doesn't cover your video with advertising and gives you more stats on viewership.

Basically, they're trying to reach the segment of the streaming market that wants vidoes embedded into their own site to look clean and professional.

I found the Blip.tv statement about "Total Potential Audience" fascinating.

"We believe in Total Potential Audience. Every show has one. It's impossible to gather your Total Potential Audience in any one place. That's why blip.tv distributes your show everywhere."

It starts with Ranganathan's Laws (sort of): Every show its audience. And then states what libraries have to learn: our full audience isn't going to come to us (at least, not merely for content - maybe for experiences, but that's another discussion) so we have to take our content to our audience.

I have to confess that while I'm pleased that Blip.tv provides a home for independent shows, I didn't see anything that struck my fancy. And these days, browsing for new talent doesn't fit into my schedule.

Still, it's nice to know that Blip.tv is out there. So often these days it seems like one only hears about the single market leader for any particular technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment