Our library has set up some accounts with Zoho to try to begin the move from printed versions of procedures and how-to to electronic ones. The registration process has messed up on me almost every time I've been invited to join. And even if I do get in, I've never gotten the hang of it.
With Wetpaint I had no trouble creating my wiki pages (other than the website hanging up on me a few times), but I was NOT impressed with how limited the formatting options were. And the fact that the ones I tried to use didn't seem to work.
I really do see how wikis could be useful as a more easily managed repository for policies, procedures, and knowledge-sharing. Wouldn't it be great if the day-to-day duties (and instructions for performing them) were saved on wikis, so that when an employee moves on, you have detailed documentation for their replacement. Since, after all, you work for the government and will never be allowed to overlap and actually train your replacement. Unless, maybe, they're hired from within.
I just hope actually using wikis gets easier.

No comments:
Post a Comment