Monday, October 12, 2009

Thing 20 - YouTube

I watched quite a few different videos with quite a few different intentions and audiences.  It quickly became apparent that the most professional videos were the ones created about, but not by, libraries, themselves.

I really liked the "Arlington Public Library PSA," which was well-produced and heart-warming without being too full of itself.  "Shout it out for your library" featured an array of celebrities talking about how much they love the NYPL system, and encouraging others to join the fight to keep the libraries open.  But how do you do measure success?  Watching a video is one thing, taking action because of it is something else altogether.

The "Texas Reading Club Jubilee" is a music video encouraging participation in the Texas Summer Reading Program (for the 50th jubilee year).  Not my cup of tea, personally, but my real question is who was the audience for that one?  Kids would enjoy it, but I hope that kids of the target age aren't watching YouTube videos without parental supervision.

The City of Plano Texas has an entire A2Z series providing brief introductions to various city departments.  I watched the "Library Technical Services" and "Davis Library" installments.  They were of better quality than some, but rather humorless.  

I think humor goes a long way to improving the watch-ability videos, but it should never get in the way of quick pacing.  The "Events @ the Library" series of videos posted by the Abilene Public Library prove this point.  They're too long and chatty--I want my information (entertaining is fine, but stick to the script) and not a lot of banter between the hosts.  On the other hand, they have the right idea using young attractive librarians.  Frumpy and grumpy don't look any better online than they do in person.

I like the idea of creating tours of the library, and idea brought about by the video "Jan Peck and David Davis visit the Azle Memorial Library in Azle, Texas."  Though otherwise I'd say the video is a "how don't."  Too slow-paced, too self-congratulatory, no voice over with explanations, no humor.

On the other end of that spectrum is "CSI: Library Instruction" an intentional "how not to" video intended for librarians to create discussion about best (and worst) practices in library instruction. 

Given that when my husband wants to learn a new skill, he heads to YouTube to look for a video, I think there's definitely a market for more "how to @ the library" videos: use the catalog, search the databases, place a hold, use the self-check machines, use the print stations.  And I still like the idea of giving a tour of the library--though in our case, I think we'd need to do four videos, one for each floor.

Take aways: keep it short, use humor if appropriate, put energetic and (if possible) attractive people on camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment