Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Thing 19 - Google Docs

I enjoyed playing with Google Docs.  Of course, Google seems to do a great job creating products that are practical, fun, and easy to use.  

Though the formatting options were more limited than those in Microsoft, I realize that's because Google is only making the universal ones available.  Which does make things more portable--and accessible.  Sometimes I wonder what has happened to the focus on accessibility in programming. That was a big thing when I took my Internet class, lo those six or seven years ago.

I think the benefits of cloud computing are pretty obvious, so it seems silly to rehash them here.  My husband gets entire IT industry trade journals on the topic, so enough ink has been spilled on the subject already.  

But, for the purposes of doing my homework:  easy collaboration without having to be geographically close is a major plus.  And I really do love having one document rather than billions of versions floating around.  But then, anything that reduces clutter (and yes, I believe in electronic clutter) is a plus in my book.

Just for a fun time, I enjoyed the Forms.  Does Microsoft not have that in their Office suite, or have I just never come across it?  

Revision control is nice for some, though I must say that it always seems very cluttery to me.  I guess I'm just not one to go back and look at old versions of things.  But then I haven't done much (any?) collaborative writing, so that may make a difference.

While I'm not sure I see Google Docs becoming a part of my daily life at the moment, I can definitely see the benefits and would be more than happy to use them if I needed them.



No comments:

Post a Comment